Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded + chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- meat of 1 rotisserie chicken (about 3-4 cups), shredded (i used both white + dark meat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup pitted + quartered kalamata olives 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the squash pieces + set aside.
- Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 4 to 6 minutes. Mash this squash coarsely with the back of a fork. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion + cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic + oregano – cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, mashed butternut squash, chicken broth, + quinoa. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, cover + cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, kalamata olives, + salt + pepper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is heated through + sauce has thickened to your liking. For me, this took about 10-15 more minutes. Add more salt/pepper if needed, to taste.
Quinoa “Fried Rice”
1 cup uncooked quinoa (roughly 3 cups cooked quinoa)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
8 ounces mushrooms
12 ounces broccoli florets
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 cup peas
4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
2 scallions, sliced for garnish
- In a medium pot, cook quinoa according to package instructions. Once cooked, fluff with a fork, then set aside.
- In a large pan, heat oil, then sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots. Stir until vegetables are tender.
- Return cooked quinoa to the pan. Add peas and stir until well-mixed. Create a space in the middle of the pan, add the eggs and scramble. Once the egg is cooked, stir it in with the rest of the dish.
- Add the soy sauce and give the dish a final stir.
- Serve while hot. Garnish with sliced scallions (optional).