Healthy Recipes for Weight Loss at San Franskinny
At San Franskinny, we are committed to providing you with the best resources possible to help you lose weight and keep it off permanently. We have created these healthy recipes for weight loss for you to try, modify, use and offer us feedback. Please comment below or share these recipes on Facebook and comment away there. As you will see below, these weight loss recipes are not the norm as far as diet recipes go, because at san franskinny our weight loss recipes target:
- Insulin Resistance
- Increasing Basal Metabolic Rate
- Lowering Blood Sugar Spikes
Egg Muffins: Healthy Recipes for weight loss to start the day:
Makes 12-15 muffins, depending on the size of your muffin tins. These muffins are perfect as they are high in protein and healthy fats and are what we consider to be a very healthy recipe for weight loss.
These tasty little egg muffins are great for breakfast because they are packed with protein and healthy fats, and are the perfect start to your san franskinny program.
Tip: Make them over the weekend and store them in the fridge for up to one week. They reheat quickly, just pop them in the microwave for 40 seconds or reheat them in the oven. Eat at least 3 muffins for a meal or have one or two as a snack during the day.
12-15 organic eggs
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 bunch broccolini (cut top portion into mini florets)
1/2 pound ground chicken or pork sausage
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tin cups with extra virgin olive oil or organic butter.
- Cook sausage in a skillet on medium/high heat until browned.
- Sauté scallions, bell pepper and broccolini in 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil for about 5 minutes, until they are just barely cooked through.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and gently whip eggs. Add the Himalayan salt, black pepper, and other seasonings to taste. We suggest garlic powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes.
- Layer sautéed vegetables and sausage in the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Add eggs to each muffin cup until they are about 3/4 full.
- Stir each muffin cup slightly with a fork to allow the egg to mix in with the vegetables and meat.
Serving size = 1 muffin; Calories = 110; Fat: 6.6g, Saturated fat: 1.9g, Carbohydrates: 11.4g, Sugar: 0.9g, Sodium: 79mg, Protein = 11.2 g,
Healthy Recipes for Weight Loss for Lunch or Brunch
Egg and Avocado Spaghetti Squash Boats
Makes 2 servings
This is one of our favorite healthy recipes for weight loss on the weekend for brunch, or on a day when you have a little more time to cook breakfast. Spaghetti squash is a great alternative to regular spaghetti because it is low in calories, just 42 calories per cup, and rich with folic acid, Vitamin A, beta-carotene, and potassium. If this isn’t enough protein for you feel free to add another egg. Remember, you should be eating 15-30 grams of protein in the morning, enough so you should not be hungry again for at least 4 hours afterward.
1 medium spaghetti squash
4 Tbsp salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cut one small spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and bake face down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes. Flip halves over so they are face up and separate strands of spaghetti squash leaving them inside shell.
- Add 2 Tbsp salsa into each half and mix it in.
- Add ½ avocado, and one egg to each half. For a more fully baked egg sink the it into the squash, for a more runny egg let it sit on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until egg whites have set.
Serving size = 1/2 squash, Calories = 355; Fat: 25.5g, Saturated fat: 5.8g, Carbohydrates: 28.4g, Sugar: 1.8g, Sodium: 303mg, Protein = 9.6 g
Tasty Weight Loss Recipes for Dinner
Makes 2-3 servings
Salmon is a great protein source for your weight loss recipes because in addition to its protein content, it is packed with nutrients, and contains omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 Fatty acids reduce the risk of coronary artery disease and lower blood pressure. Unlike tuna or swordfish salmon is a low-mercury fish, and is safe to eat every day if you want. However, we do suggest that you do not eat the same food every day, it is important to mix up your food choices so you get a broad and inclusive spectrum of vitamins and nutrients.
For this weight loss recipe you are going to want to marinade the salmon in a ziplock bag in the fridge for at least an hour. The longer it marinades the better the flavor, so start the marinade in the morning, and pop it in the oven when you get home.
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari (gluten free)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp minced or pureed ginger root
1 pinch dried chili flakes
2-3 skinless wild salmon filets
2-3 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Combine garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, chili flakes, and salmon filets in a ziplock bag. Let them marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour sesame seeds onto a plate and spread them into an even layer.
- Lay salmon fillets face down in the sesame seeds so that they coat the top.
- Place sesame coated salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Switch the oven to broil for the last minute of cooking to toast the sesame seeds.
Delicious Weight Loss Recipes for Brunch
Bacon, Edamame, Sweet Potato Hash
Makes 3 servings
This bacon, edamame, sweet potato hash will satisfy you without giving you the huge insulin spike most other comfort food does. This is one of our favorite weight loss recipes because in addition to being delicious, its ingredients are rich with important vitamins and nutrients. Sweet potato is high in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, iron, and much more. Even though it tastes sweet, its natural sugars are released slowly into the bloodstream, which means you get a more balanced and consistent source of energy instead of experiencing a sugar rush and crash, like you would with simple carbohydrates like pasta and bread. Edamame is a great plant based protein source, with a whopping 17 grams of protein per cup. It is also rich in manganese, which helps your body metabolize fats and carbohydrates, and is important for blood sugar control. Feel free to add other sautéed vegetables like broccoli and bell pepper to this recipe, or serve over a bed of greens.
3 strips of bacon
1 red bell pepper
1 medium sweet potato
2 cups Organic Edamame
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 green onion
salt and pepper
- Cook the sweet potato in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30-45 minutes until it can be pierced by a fork easily.
- Cook 3 strips of bacon in a large skillet on medium/high heat.
- When it is done set the bacon and discard the bacon fat
- Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil to the pan
- Chop the bell pepper and shallot, and dice the sweet potato. Add these to the pan.
- Cook on medium heat until veggies are cooked but crisp.
- Add 2 cups edamame (defrosted if using frozen), and heat for another 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Stir in one chopped green onion
Serving size: ⅓ recipe, Calories: 270, Fat: 12.2g, Saturated fat: 2.7g, Carbohydrates: 25g, Sugar: 4.5g, Sodium: 385mg, Fiber: 8.7g, Protein: 22.2g
Amazing Diet Recipes for Baked Chicken Breasts
Lemon and Thyme Chicken Breasts
Makes 3 servings
This chicken recipe is quick, zesty and is as delicious of a weight loss recipe as you will find anywhere. Chicken is a staple in diet recipes because it is an ideal low calorie protein source. A 3 ounce serving of chicken contains just 102 calories, but contains a whopping 19 grams of protein, just be sure not to bread and deep fry it! Also, make sure you purchase organic chicken. Organic chicken does not contain the added antibiotics and hormones that non-organic chicken does. Giving chickens unnecessary antibiotics causes antibiotic resistant bacteria to mutate and spread faster, which threatens our health and the environment. In addition, non-organic chickens are fed with genetically modified feed, which has a detrimental impact on our gut health.
1-2 tbsp olive oil
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup of chicken broth
Zest from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Two sprigs of fresh thyme
1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the minced garlic for one minute stirring constantly
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme leaves.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken in the baking dish, and place the lemon wedges and a few sprigs of thyme on top of the chicken
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, basting occasionally. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes after taking it out from the oven. Serve with some of the sauce from the pan drizzled on top.
Serving size: ⅓ recipe, Calories: 362, Fat: 20.0g, Saturated fat: 4.3g, Carbohydrates: 2.0g, Sodium: 208mg, Protein: 41.9g
Weight Loss Recipe with Healthy Fats
Coconut Curry Shrimp
Makes 4 servings
This coconut curry shrimp is a great weight loss recipe because it contains multiple different sources of healthy fats and proteins. Although it may seem counterintuitive due to the negative press they have received, eating good fats is critical for weight loss success. The good fats in this recipe are avocado oil, coconut oil, and cashews.
Avocados are an excellent fat for our brain. Avocados boast huge amounts of potassium which is a critical element for weight loss, to reduce inflammation, balance our body’s pH, and maintaining our blood pressure and cardiovascular health!
Coconut oil is the best oil for high heat cooking and is a staple in all of our healthy weight loss recipes. It is an excellent saturated fat for heart health and is a staple in many of the weight loss recipes at san franskinny. It is a Medium Chain Fatty Acid that can be turned into useable energy by your liver, never going to your fat storage first! Coconut oil is also highly anti-inflammatory, improves mental focus, heals gut problems, and accelerates fat burning.
For the Sauce:
3/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup hot filtered water
11/4 cups canned full-fat coconut milk (3/4 of a 14-ounce can)
1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1⁄4-inch rounds
1 small clove garlic
11/2 to 2 tablespoons curry powder, or more, to taste
Red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
For the Coconut Curry Shrimp:
1 teaspoon avocado oil
11/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks or coarsely shredded (about 1 cup)
1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
2 cups shredded cabbage
3⁄4 to 1 pound snow peas or snap peas (30 to 40 pods)
21⁄2 cups prepared Coconut Curry Sauce
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Curry powder, to taste
3 cups (packed) spinach, chopped
- Blend all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender on high until smooth.
- Add the oil to a skillet, and cook the shrimp for 3-5 minutes until they just start to turn pink.
- Sprinkle salt on the shrimp
- Add the carrots, cabbage, snow peas, bell pepper, and coconut curry sauce to the pan. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low, and cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes until the sauce is thickened and the vegetables are done.
- Stir in cilantro
- Serve over the spinach.
Calories: 421 • Protein: 30 g • Carbohydrate: 21 g • Dietary Fiber: 4 g • Total Fat: 25 g
Healthy Recipe for Weight Loss and Immune Support
This light vegetable soup is great to have around in the winter-time and is a perfectly healthy recipe for weight loss. The hearty vegetables will fill you up and keep you satisfied, and the broth is great to sip on throughout the day. This is a healthy recipe for weight loss because all of the ingredients contain beneficial vitamins and nutrients.
Ginger in particular has anti inflammatory properties which make it a beneficial treatment for many inflammatory diseases and is ideal in all diet recipes as it may improve symptoms related to cancer, diabetes, arthritis, etc. In addition, ginger appears to have beneficial effects on insulin release and action, and improved carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, thus potentially lowering insulin resistance. Ginger is thought to have a positive effect on preventing diabetes and reversing diabetes because it inhibits carbohydrate metabolism, increases insulin release and sensitivity, and improves lipid profiles. On top of all that ginger is thought to boost metabolism by increasing thermogenesis, or heat production, in your body. Supplementing with ginger may help to counteract the decrease in metabolism that often occurs with weight loss.
Curcumin is another spice that has been shown to have a beneficial effect on weight loss, the active ingredient in turmeric. Turmeric is included in many healthy recipes for weight loss because it has been shown to reverse insulin resistance, hyperlipidemia, hyperglycemia, and other inflammatory symptoms associated with obesity and metabolic disorders.
3 carrots, peeled
1 medium/large sweet white onion, peeled
1 medium/large leek, peeled; use white and pale green parts, discard dark green or leafy parts
1 baby bok choy
2 medium or 1 large sweet potatoes or yams, it is not necessary to peel them
8 ounces white mushrooms, stems removed and quartered
juice of 1 medium/large lemon
2 to 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, added whole and removed midway through simmering (1 tablespoon ground ginger may be substituted)
2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 Tablespoon ground turmeric
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
Salt to taste; add before, during, or after simmering
about 6 quarts water, or to nearly the top of your pot, leaving about 1-inch headspace
- Cut the carrots, onion, leek, bok choy, and sweet potatoes or yams into one inch chunks
- Combine all the ingredients in a large stock pot
- Fill the pot with water, leaving about one inch of space at the top
- Simmer on the stove for one hour
- Taste soup and remove ginger when the desired intensity of the ginger flavor has been reached.
- Continue to simmer soup for about 90-120 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add water as needed if the broth level looks too low
- Serve. Can separate some of the broth and set aside to drink as desired.