Serves: serves 6-8Print
Avocado and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
3-4 small acorn squash, sliced in half
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 4-oz.. can of green chiles
1.5 cups cooked quinoa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup chopped scallions
¼ cup toasted pepitas
¼ cup feta cheese, optional
2 avocados, diced
a few squeezes of lime
salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the insides. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast cut side up for for about 35-50 minutes or until your squash is tender in the middle and browned around the edges. (The timing will depend on your squash. If it’s taking too long to become tender, flip it upside down for a portion of the roasting time).
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cook the onion until translucent, then add the garlic, cumin, coriander and stir. Add the green chilies and stir again, then add the quinoa, black beans, scallions, pepitas, feta cheese, a squeeze of lime and a more salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Remove skillet from the heat, let it cool, then stir in the diced avocado. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Scoop the filling into the acorn squashes halves. (note: if you’re not scooping the filling into the squashes right away, scoop the mixture out of the pan and into a bowl and set aside.)