Lemon and Thyme Chicken Breasts
Makes 3 servings
This chicken recipe is quick, zesty and is as delicious of a weight loss recipe as you will find anywhere. Chicken is a staple in diet recipes because it is an ideal low calorie protein source. A 3 ounce serving of chicken contains just 102 calories, but contains a whopping 19 grams of protein, just be sure not to bread and deep fry it! Also, make sure you purchase organic chicken. Organic chicken does not contain the added antibiotics and hormones that non-organic chicken does. Giving chickens unnecessary antibiotics causes antibiotic resistant bacteria to mutate and spread faster, which threatens our health and the environment. In addition, non-organic chickens are fed with genetically modified feed, which has a detrimental impact on our gut health.
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup of chicken broth
Zest from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Two sprigs of fresh thyme
1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the minced garlic for one minute stirring constantly
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme leaves.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken in the baking dish, and place the lemon wedges and a few sprigs of thyme on top of the chicken
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, basting occasionally. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes after taking it out from the oven. Serve with some of the sauce from the pan drizzled on top.
Serving size: ⅓ recipe, Calories: 362, Fat: 20.0g, Saturated fat: 4.3g, Carbohydrates: 2.0g, Sodium: 208mg, Protein: 41.9g