Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 15-ounce (425 g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
optional: Pinch of sea salt or lemon juice
Garlic Herb Sauce
1/4 cup hummus (or tahini)
juice of 1/2 lemon
3/4 – 1 tsp. dried dill
3 cloves garlic, minced
Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
optional: Sea salt to taste (I didn’t need any)
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup chopped parsley, minced
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Chili garlic sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil.
2. Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. This will speed cooking time. Otherwise leave whole and bake longer (approximately double the time (45 min – 1 hour).
3. Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
4. Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet (or another baking sheet depending on size).
5. While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
6. Prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
7. Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown – roughly 25 minutes – remove from oven.
8. For serving, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately.