Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs with Braised Cabbage
4 organic bone in chicken thighs with skin
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 tbsp. minced ginger
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. fish sauce
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cabbage, cored and roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
- Combine the chicken thighs, minced garlic, minced ginger, rice vinegar, and fish sauce for 1 to 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- When ready to cook, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and dry thoroughly. Save the marinade for later.
- Cook the chicken in a skillet on medium high skin side-down until the skin is light brown and crispy and most of the fat has rendered out and is liquid in the pan. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet and set them aside on a plate, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet.
- Cut the red onion into thin slices. With the skillet over medium heat, add the red onion slices and cook, stirring, until the onion starts to soften, about a minute.
- Core the cabbage and chop it roughly into 2 inch pieces.
- Add the chopped cabbage and the leftover marinating liquid and stir so that the cabbage is coated with the liquid.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the cabbage, skin side-up.
- Roast in oven at 400F until the chicken is cooked through and the cabbage is soft and slightly brown around the edges of the skillet, should take about 15 minutes.